Summer Reading For 2004
For Mr. Daniel Williams
1. Purchase Michael Degens book Crafting Expository Argument if you have not already done so.
2. Purchase and read Beowulf.
3. See all three movies in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I will be showing each film here at the school in the two weeks before school starts if you do not own the films, or want to rent them. I would strongly suggest seeing the films in those two weeks, whether you have seen them before or not.
4. Print the following handouts off my website: Using Analytical Voice and The Monomyth, Archetypes, and The Universal Unconscious.
5. Match the following characters with the appropriate archetypes, writing two to three sentences in analytical voice to explain how each character fulfills the archetype.
From Lord of the Rings
6. In Beowulf, the hall plays a very significant part in portraying elements of Anglo/Saxon culture. Tolkien recreates this motif in Lord of the Rings. Write an expository paragraph in which you compare the role of the feasting hall in both works in portraying the elements of culture.